Friday, August 1, 2008

Thunderstorms

Here in the mountains, folks are always talking about thunderstorms. What they did, do and might do. When and where and stories about past storms weathered.

It is interesting how in different geographic areas and climates, what the metrological buzz is about. In New Jersey, snowstorms in the winter and sometimes hurricanes in the summer. Indiana- tornadoes; Wisconsin- cold, snow, ice and tornadoes; Florida- hurricanes, heart and thunderstorms. And here in North Carolina, it is the storm de jour.
It does not matter whether rain or snow, mild or cold, they are very concerned about storms and their consequences- past, present and future.

Growing up in New Jersey, we never really paid much attention to weather ad its real or imagined concerns. Unless of course, it effected a sports event as spectator or participant. I did not grow up with fear of weather and its hazards. I consider this a blessing. When I am aware of serious weather conditions; I purchase groceries and I am good. I do not sweat this kind of stuff.

It is not that I have not experienced severe weather conditions; Hurricane Georges in Clearwater Florida- we were all forced to evacuate the area. Twice I have been on a boat when an unexpected tornado touched down. There was the time with three of snow and no power for a day and a half at a farmhouse. I hiked solo for six weeks during the summer of 95’ when we the nation was rarely below 95 degrees the whole summer. Bike-riding in Wisconsin in –twenty0-five degree weather. Hurricanes that knocked trees on my home in Indiana. I have done 360s and slid across a four-lane highway on black ice, and my car was crashed into while sitting there unable to move. I was fine; the car was totaled.

Immediately after writing that last line, the power went out here. We scrambled for flashlights and lighter oil lamps. Now things have calmed down. I am writing with pen by lamp oil. If I were motivated, I would get out my calligraphy pen and do this by nip and ink. So, here I am writing on a wood table that is several generations older than I, at a historic lodge in the middle of nowhere by lamp oil. I was told I was like Abe Lincoln; I will not go to theater this evening.

Thunderstorms come in other forms as well. There are the thunderstorms that as humans, we rain upon others. Sometimes, they are expected and we can properly prepare for the damage, other times, they are not expected we get caught in the thunder and lightening with out a raincoat or rubber boots to protect us. It is these kinds of thunderstorms that have been on my mind lately. Mother nature has hers; we have ours.

How can we properly prepare for these kinds of storms? Today, and recently, I have needed to weather some “severe weather:” that someone has been bursting all over the place. The first few times, I shrunk and became small. I was totally unprepared for the flood of rage spilling on anything in its path. After having weathered a few of these storms, (I couldn’t resist) I reacted with anger to protect myself. Unfortunately anger does not come with raincoats and rubber boots and, therefore, was still unprotected.

I am now learning weather human thunderstorms in a different manner, or at least trying. OK, maybe just experimenting at this point. The raincoats and boots I am trying to keep me safe are the same garments that work in life’s other challenges- Prayer, Breathing, Humility and staying grounded in who I am. Thunder, lightening, snow, heat, tornadoes, hurricanes, cold, wind or sleet cannot take that from me. I am Michael.

We do not need to get small,
we do not do anything for anybody by shrinking,
We do not need to lash back,
Thunderstorms do not put out thunderstorms any more than fire puts out fire.
We do not need to bring back whatever memories this brings up for us,
Inner Strength and Courage seem limitless when we need it. Stand tall!
We do not need to be anyone’s doormat,
We can remember whom we are and where we have come form, challenges overcome, and know we are not the problem, cause or root. I am who I am and that is good enough.

I am aware having written this; I have now raised the bar on how I will weather natural or “un-natural” thunderstorms. And with writing and sharing things with others, forces me to step up to the plate, and stopping thinking and talking about a choice and start living it!

I Pray we all weather whatever storms we each experience as calmly and safely as possible. And may my pen and oil lamp shine brightly and strong, so that we may see clearly through the damage caused by these broken power lines. Thunderstorms of any kind are Teachers if we choose to become students.

No comments: