Sunday, August 3, 2008

All It Takes is The Courage to Step Out

I remember as a child hearing about all the protests and riots. It was the sixties, when young and old were inspired by the force of change. People were willing to risk their jobs, education, families and freedom to stand for what they believed in. I have vague memories of feeling that I too wanted to be part of The Movement, The Revolution.
By the time I was old enough, the voices had been silenced and I was swirling in Hurricane Cocaine. 



Tonight I watched the movie Walkout. WOW! I cried about every ten minutes, I was moved to the core by the force of the collective human spirit. It seems there is nothing we can't achieve together when inspired by the Higher Good. 


I was trembling with the illustrations of the suffering Chicano students in East L.A. during the sixties.

Why do we do this to each other?

Why is "Looking out for #1" such a way of life for us?

Have we had enough yet?

Several times during the movie, I reflected on how comfortable we have become as a culture in the last thirty years. Where has that collective human spirit gone?

Has taking care of our own, replaced taking care of each other?

Have we had enough yet?

This past January, I reformatted one of the programs I am involved with to include a Youth March on MLK Day. Four hundred or so, predominantly youth of color, put on their coats and bared eighteen-degree weather during a heavy snowstorm to march for youth education and rights, much like the Chicano students did in East L.A. If you have ever participated in any marches/protests, especially a youth lead rally, it reaches deep down inside in a way that few things in life can. 




Abraham Herschel once said something to the effect of, "Marching is praying with your feet". When was the last time you prayed with your feet?

Have we had enough yet?

Please watch Walkout. It is a powerful experience. I can't imagine what the real events must have been like for those high school students. 


Have we had enough yet?

No comments: