Saturday, January 17, 2009

steppin'


Steppin’

The rhythm it always starts with the rhythm. I can feel it all through me, like blood, or water or air but juicier. My ears are the gateway, but it is all of me. I feel that tingle in my belly that reaches down to my groin. I like it. It thrills me. My eyes light up, I can feel their brightness and flicker. Breath- alive and kicking’. Tongue with a little bit of wag to it. And the body, the tension and the tease of release but it is really just one building on another building on another, crescendo on top of crescendo. The waves pour in and topple upon each other. At some point, my feet get engaged, but it is really my hips and butt that kick start the feet, they are just the part that I can see and follow but it is the butt and hips. I wish mine could move the way I want them to but they do OK. Ahhh, the spine! Straight erect and firm with just enough relaxation for the beat to move up and down bringing its heat with it. The Dance. It is The Dance.

It doesn’t matter to me what the dance or the music is, because it is about the dance. There is no art form of any kind that can move me or effect me like talented dancers who know how to use their body and are not afraid of what it can do. I have basic talents in most “still” art forms like painting, drawing, calligraphy, been messing with a camera lately and oh yeah, I like to write too. But none of them touch me and set my system on fire like a group of dancers.

What is it that moves me so much? An old friend who was a dancer among other performing arts suggested it might be the fact that it is where I have the least raw talent and why I have such appreciation for it. At the time, I bought that explanation since it made sense then. Since then I have done some West African, Sufi, Dances for Universal Peace and modern dance. As I learned to move my body a little bit more fluidly, freer and passionately, my appreciation grew even more. Every time I see a live dance performance I leave with tears in my eyes. I am amazed the human body can be so flexible, fluid, strong and just absolutely sensual, or is it sexual, maybe some combination of both. To a lesser degree, I experience something similar when I watch a movie about dance and dancing, tonight was one of those nights. I again watched a movie called Step Up. The story line is not something new or innovative- young talented, gorgeous sexy dancers face great challenges to perform at their highest level and fall in love along the way. Knowing this ten minutes in does not spoil the movie because that story is one I can afford to experience again and again. To me it is one of the only stories that matter: artists struggling and working through their obstacles to be free from their inner and outer resistance. It is the great triumph that gets even juiced up more because of the dancing and its unmistakable passion and fire. If you missed it, check for body temperature.

Great dancing is incredibly sexy to me. It is clean and sensual and filled with the desire and connection that makes for great lovemaking. It stimulates the desire in me to dance, to move, to love and to make love. It is body, connection and ecstasy blended together in harmonic choreography. Choreography, there is a talent I would love to have. I have experienced some great performances in recent years and so many have made lasting impressions on me and have altered my association with the songs they moved to. Every time I see Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater it is weeks before the world has any resemblance to the way it was before that night. Flowers look like they are moving and choreographed by some crazy country choreographer. Telephone poles appear as poses held longer than any human could possibly sustain. Couples holding hands and smiling together seem to be so much more in sync. My love and appreciation for everyone around me grows and deepens so that I feel our bodies connect, move and capture its lift and dip together. I see the dance we are all doing together. Our dance. I feel a sense of freedom, as if we can fly for the first time like Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

As I write this, I notice how straight, erect and firm my spine is naturally sitting. My eyes are clear and without strain. My typing is almost well, typing. I am excited and my heart is beating fast, strong and ready for action. I am alive. I am dancing while sitting here in front of my white MacBook with my little green frog humidifier named Troy and blueish grey waterfall on my left, my favorite new plant that the vice principle gave me as a gift on my right and my butt perched just on the edge of my seat to be as close to this as possible. I am here!

Thanks dancers, dancing and The Dance!

No comments: